Over 11,500 cases against “stone pelters” were registered from July last year following the killing of Hizb commander Burhan Wani, media reports quoting officials say.
Taking the suggestion of the its “representative” for dialogue in J&K forward, the Government of India now plans to drop over 4,500 cases against youths involved in stone pelting for the first time “in a bid to win hearts in the Kashmir Valley,” news agency PTI quoted officials as saying.
Kashmir witnessed massive anti-India protests amid months of curfew and shutdown and the killing of nearly 100 people by government forces after Wani was killed in an encounter in Kokernag area of Kulgam district on July 8.
According to official figures, over 1700 people were wounded due to the widespread use of pellet guns by government forces.
Sharma, who visited the Valley earlier this month, was flooded with requests from various individuals and groups for withdrawing cases against youths who were booked by the police for indulging in stone pelting, according to PTI.
When contacted, Sharma refused to comment on it but said “my attempt was to change the narrative in the state to peace and for that I need support of youths and students.”
The Indian government is “keen to review the remaining cases against stone pelters in consultation with the PDP-BJP state government,” officials told PTI.
Sharma found residents in the Valley facing the problem of electricity shortage, especially during winters and, therefore, an additional 300 megawatt will be provided to Kashmir this year.
Attempts are being made to ensure round-the-clock electricity supply by the beginning of winter next year, the officials said, adding talks are being held with power ministry for implementing this project.
The central government will also enhance the compensation to the policemen killed during encounters. At present, a local policeman gets Rs 40 lakh.