36 killed in Monday bombing in Aleppo, 1 lakh children trapped

Srinagar: Syrian government forces and allied fighters advanced further into rebel-held Aleppo on Monday, pressing an offensive in defiance of international concern for the fate of the city and its beleaguered civilians, Al Jazeera reported Tuesday.

“At least 36 people were killed in Monday’s bombing,” Al Jazeera quoted a rescue worker. “These are the most violent attacks we’ve seen in five years.”

The recapture of the rebel-held east, which fell from government control in 2012, would be the government’s most significant victory since the conflict began more than five years ago, the report said.

The international community appeared unlikely to halt the government’s advance, despite expressing outrage over rising civilian deaths and the targeting of hospitals and rescue-worker facilities in the east, the report added.

Geert Cappelaere, regional director for the UN’s children’s agency, said more than 100,000 children were trapped. “Children should not be dying in hospitals because of bombs, and they should not be dying in schools,” the report quoted Cappelaere.

Rebel forces have steadily lost ground since Moscow, a key backer of President Bashar al-Assad, intervened to bolster his government last year, the report said.

Syria’s Al-Watan daily, which is close to the government, described the neighbourhood as the “biggest and most important stronghold of the gunmen” in Aleppo, the media report said.

  • author's avatar

    By: KN Web Desk

    No biography available at this time

  • author's avatar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.