“I read about the withdrawal of cases against stone-pelters but I think those pelting stones should be shot dead,” said Vats, a Rajya Sabha MP, on Saturday, according to ANI.
Vats is referring to Kashmir’s PDP-BJP government in February deciding to withdraw FIRs against nearly 10,000 people booked for stone-pelting.
The BJP MP’s comment came mere days after Union home minister Rajnath Singh said cases against first-time stone-pelters were withdrawn as “children make mistakes” and their future shouldn’t be put in jeopardy.
“We decided to withdraw FIRs against 10,000 youths involved in first-time stone-pelting for the sake of their future,” said Rajnath on Thursday while on a visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
However, also last week, the Delhi government told the National Human Rights Commission that the Jammu & Kashmir government’s decision to withdraw FIRs against stone-pelters would demoralise security forces and embolden militants to use civilians as human shields for their terror activities.