Youth dies in MRI machine in Mumbai hospital

A 32-year-old man was sucked into an MRI machine and killed after he walked into the room carrying an oxygen cylinder at a Mumbai hospital. The shocking incident, which has raised serious questions over safety, occurred on Saturday evening when the victim was helping an elderly relative into the MRI room for a scan. The man’s relatives allege that a ward boy at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital asked him to take the cylinder inside, a media report said.

Medical implants and devices like rod plates, pins, screws, or metal mesh objects as well as metallic objects, such as jewellery, clothing with metallic fibers or threads, zippers, buttons, hooks, or underwire aren’t allowed inside the MRI room.

The hospital management are inquiring into the incident and will take appropriate action after the report, said Dr Ramesh Bharmal, Dean, Nair Hospital, the report said.

Based on information from the eyewitnesses and CCTV footage, an FIR has been registered against Dr Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and one other staff for causing death by negligence. Further investigation is on, a senior police officer was quoted in the report as saying.

According to eyewitnesses, Rajesh Maru, who worked as a salesman, entered the MRI room carrying an oxygen cylinder which was helping his relative breathe. The metal in the cylinder activated the machine’s monstrous magnetic field, pulling in both the man and the cylinder with great force. His hand got stuck in the machine along with the cylinder triggering a massive oxygen leak, the report added.

Maru’s relative and the ward boys managed to pull him out of the machine but his body was swollen and he was bleeding heavily. He was rushed to the emergency ward where he died within 10 minutes, Harish Solanki, his brother-in-law was quoted as saying.

Solanki said that his mother was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Maru was with him at the hospital. They were waiting for the doctor outside the MRI room, when a ward boy attached to the ICU told them to take the oxygen cylinder inside.

“When we reminded him that metallic objects aren’t allowed inside the MRI room, he said ‘sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai’ (it’s fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn’t say anything. So we thought let’s just go in. But as soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on. He was sucked in and his hand got stuck there. His body swelled up and he couldn’t speak. It’s because of their carelessness that Rajesh died,” Solanki was quoted as saying.

  • author's avatar

    By: KN Web Desk

    No biography available at this time

  • author's avatar

  • 27
    Shares
  • 27
    Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.