Three militants, ASI killed in ‘fidayeen’ attack on BSF camp near Srinagar airport

Three militants, ASI killed in ‘fidayeen’ attack on BSF camp near Srinagar airport

Three militants were killed in a ‘fidayeen’ attack on a Border Security Force (BSF ) camp near the high- security Srinagar airport Tuesday, police said.  One BSF Assistant Sub-Inspector(ASI) was also killed and three BSF troopers wounded during the attack claimed by the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant group.

Police said the three militants entered the 182 Battalion camp of the BSF at 4.30 a.m. through a damaged perimeter wall and started firing in all directions.

Three BSF troopers were injured in the beginning of the attack and one militant killed in the retaliatory fire,  news agency PTI quoted a police official as having said. After this, the two remaining militants moved in different directions and took shelter in different buildings before being killed by the forces.

ASI B K Yadav’s body was recovered during the mopping up operations.

“We are carrying out search operations inside the premises to rule out the possibility of planting of explosives,” State Director General of Police S P Vaid said.

Jaish-e-Mohammad, the Pakistan-based militant outfit, claimed responsibility for the attack.

A caller identifying himself as spokesman of the outfit told local news gathering agencies that Jaish militants had carried out the attack.

Inspector General of Police Munir Khan said he had no doubt that the attack was carried out by Jaish militants.

“I think they have owned responsibility for the attack. It is the same group whose militants also carried out an attack in Pulwama town earlier,” he told reporters.

He said the group had infiltrated in July-August, according to news agency IANS,

The officer added: “As long as Pakistan is our neighbour, such attacks will keep happening.”

Khan  denied that there had been a security breach that led to the attack.

“As long as militancy is there, the militants can continue to plan such attacks. The operation could have been finished much earlier had we used aerial weapons.

“We did not use aerial weapons to ensure that there is no collateral damage as you know the camp is surrounded by civilian residential area.”

Khan said the operation against the militants on Tuesday was a “classic example of total coordination between different wings of the security forces.”

He said the militants had managed to enter through the Friends Enclave residential area and from there they had crossed the road to attack the camp.

He said the police has identified the overground worker of Jaish who provided shelter and brought the militants close to the BSF camp.

“We have identified the overground worker who is himself also a militant. He brought the militants here and we are now acting against him.”

Meanwhile, civilian air operations, which were suspended for nearly three hours in the morning, resumed at 10 am.

“Normal flight operations have resumed and passengers were boarding flights,” said Sharad Kumar, director, Airports Authority of India, Srinagar.

(Picture by Faisal Khan)

  • author's avatar

    By: KN Web Desk

    No biography available at this time

  • author's avatar